Calangute Beach is located about 20 km north of Goa’s capital, Panjim and is probably the most popular beach of North Goa. It’s a very happening place, dotted with plenty of restaurants, resorts, beach shacks, markets, and casinos thus adding to the tourists’ delight.
The beach itself is always buzzing with activities like para-sailing, water-skiing, banana boat rides, and swimming. There is always a crowd of tourists on the beach, with the local populace joining in on the weekends. People like to enjoy their lunch or dinner in one of the many beach shacks lining the beach. Ideally suited to take a long morning walk on the clean sandy beach, which stretches for about 3 kilometers with Candolim Beach at the south end and Baga Beach at the north end. There are lifeguards always patrolling the beach in their red jeeps alerting people whether it is safe to swim or not. It gets very crowded in the evenings particularly at the time of sunset. It’s a good beach to witness one of the best sunsets. Little wonder as to why this beach is referred to as the Queen of all beaches in Goa. This beach is one of the cleanest and famous beach of north goa visited by domestic and international tourists. Accommodation and hotels are plenty around here so no worries. It’s a complete package of enjoyment.
Meanwhile, the Calangute population has a high sex ratio as close to 54% of the total population is males while the rest 46% are females. Statistically, the male population is 8,463 while the female population is 7,313.
How to reach
This beach is well connected from major cities like Panjim and Mapusa. From airport in Vasco, one can easily hire a cab and come Calangute.
Popular Place and Things to do:
Following are some of the things to do in Calangute
- Castle House, located on the Lavina Street Rd, Opp. Calangute Panchayat. This place is very relaxing and nature-friendly with a beautiful swimming pool, on site restaurant, bar and lounge, and free internet. Rooms have air conditioning and a refrigerator, as well as an LED TV. Peace is what you will find here.
- Casino Palms, is the right place to enjoy some gaming if you are in Calangute. A perfect place to relax and spend some quality time with family after a beach session. You can enjoy blackjack, roulette, mini-flush and baccarat. Slot machines and machine poker are also available here.
- The Medicinal Springs, it could be a prime attraction for nature lovers and is located in the cashew covered foothills of Calangute. Basically, it is a good picnic spot and good for Sunday outing. You can pack your food and bring along here and take a bath in the medicinal water. This place can be reached by following a narrow road after the Bom Viagem Convent.
- The Church of St. Alex is one of the first churches founded by the Franciscans and is located near the Don Bosco School. Visitors are attracted by the architectural beauty of the church.
- Kerkar Art Complex is located on the Holiday Street and is one of the most popular art galleries in Calangute. Here sculptures and paintings by the artist Subodh Kerkar are exhibited. This gallery also features contemporary art from all over India. On every Thursday and Friday, visitors can enjoy Indian classical music and dance concerts here.
Activities on the Beach
Water Sports: Calangute beach is a good beach for a variety of Watersports activates. Following is the sequence of such activities:
- Parasailing (Rs 1300) with free falling into the sea (Rs 300). It is an excellent activity.
- Dolphin view (Rs 500)
- Water skiing (Rs 600)
- Bumper ride ( Rs 600 for 2)
- Scuba Diving, Snorkeling: Experience the adventure of scuba diving/snorkeling with the Flying fish. They provide pool training and underwater techniques are taught.
- Fort Aguada: Located at a nearby distance from Calangute, the Fort is a big landmark and of historical significance. It has a lighthouse and a jail also. Good for couples and photography in the backdrop of the Arabian Sea. One can also go spotting Dolphins from the Sinquerim beach.
- Goa Water Sports: Ideal for Island Trip and some of the most amazing things you can experience in Calangute. People can travel to Grand Island and monkey beach with snorkeling and dolphins. Book your trips through genuine travel companies who provide snorkeling and the trip includes two-way comfortable transports, unlimited beers and beverages, snorkeling kit, and snacks are provided on the go.
Restaurants / Meal Option (Veg / Non Veg / Sea Food)
- Relish: Indian, Seafood, Asian, British, Vegetarian, Vegan
- Souza Lobo: Indian, Seafood, Portuguese, Vegetarian, Vegan
- Cafe Sussegado Souza: Indian, Seafood, Vegan, Vegetarian
- Rudys Golden Mermaid Beach Shack: Indian, Seafood, Bar, Barbecue, Vegetarian.
- Bosco’s Beach Shack: Indian, Bar, Seafood, Vegetarian.
- Anthony’s Restaurant and Bar: Indian, Bar, Seafood, Asian, Vegetarian, and Vegan.
- Yaki Zushi: Asian, Chinese, Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Thai, Vegetarian, Vegan.
Budget & Luxury Hotels
- The Avenue Calangute (Rs 3,600 per night)
- Lemonmint Svelton Manor (Rs 1,799)
- Fab Hotel Prime Sarala Crown Calangute Beach (Rs 2600)
- Hotel Celi (Rs 1189)
- FabExpress La Flamingo Calangute (Rs 1541)
- The Park Calangute Goa (Rs 5900)
- Bloomrooms (Rs 2259)
- SinQ Signature (Rs 3245)
- Hard Rock (Rs 5999)
- Hotel Maya Goa
- De Avalon
- Pauls Cottage
- Bella Guest House
- Four Seasons Guest House
- Joaquina’s Guest House
- Budget, Luxury, Guest Houses
- The World Famous Decades: Nice for nightlife and beer, which is always ice cold.
- The Sportsman Bar: One of the best-rated bar for night outing. The bar shows football on the weekend and operates karaoke and quiz nights.
- The Public Bar: The Public Bar or Sameer Wine shop is located about 100 meters from the main entry to the Calangute Beach.
- Other popular ones are Pine Shack and Mr Toff Toff’s
- Shree Shanta Durga Temple
- Shree Dev Babreshwar Prasanna
- Shri Saibaba Temple
- Shri Jambhleshwar Prasanna Temple
- Shree Foneshwar Prasanna Mandir
- Shri Babreshwar Samaj Hanuman Mandir
- Shri Ganesh Mandir
- Shri Mahadev Taleshwar Devasthan
- Shri Siddhivinayak Ganesh Temple
- Shri Swami Samarth Temple
- Alex’s Church
- Full Gospel Church Of Calangute
- Our Lady Of Piety Church
- Sao Joao Batista
- Our Lady of Hope Church
- Nossa Senhora de Piedade Chapel
- Redemptor chapel
- Cruz Chapel